Village History

The history of this parish has been recorded in a booklet published in 1985 entitled Hayton 1762 - 1914 “A portrait of a north nottinghamshire country parish from enclosure to the Great War”.  It was researched and written by Dr Rosemary E. Anderson who left Hayton in 2006.  Information from the booklet is included on this website with her permission and with much gratitude from the Parish Council.

The following passage is taken from ber booklet and describes the origin of St Peter’s Church, Hayton.

    church       “The church would appear to have originally consisted of a Norman stone built nave and      chancel, dating from around 1120.  A portion of this structure is still to be found within the north wall of the nave.  At the end of the twelfth century, the south aisle was constructed, and the arcade, consisting of three round arches was built.  The fine south doorway is also of this late Norman period, but the splendid porch which shelters it was not built until around 1400.  According to Arthur Mee, it is a rare possession for a village church in the quality of its workmanship, as it has a stone-ribbed roof, and is externally enriched with pinnacles, at the foot of which are tiny sculptured heads of human folk and animals.

 

old_churchDuring the fourteenth century the chancel was pulled down and rebuilt to include a three-light window, and at the same time the windows in the north wall of the nave were added, and the south aisle rebuilt.  The tower was constructed around 1400 and is embattled, as are the nave and the south aisle.  Since the 15th century when windows were inserted in the south aisle, the church has not altered in external appearance, although it has been extensively restored from time to time”.

 

hayton_old_photo1old_hayton_2

    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home   Village History   Parish Council   Agenda   Minutes   Newsletter   Walks   Links 
website design software