Hayton is an agricultural parish two and a half miles from the market town of Retford, Nottinghamshire. The village sits with its eastern back to Hollins Hill which, at 223 feet, is the highest point in the area. Its western boundary is drawn by the River Idle.
It is a linear village about a mile in length running north from The Boat Inn to the Clarborough village boundary in the South. One of its most delightful assets is its close alignment to the Chesterfield Canal which affords wonderful walks that in turn link to a large network of local footpaths.
It is an undiscovered rural delight and well worth a visit
The history of this parish has been recorded in a booklet published in 1985 entitled Hayton 1762 - 1914 “A portrait of a north nottinghamshire country parish from enclosure to the Great War”. It was researched and written by Dr Rosemary E. Anderson who left Hayton in 2006. Information from the booklet is included on this website with her permission and with much gratitude from the Parish Council.
The following passage is taken from ber booklet and describes the origin of St Peter’s Church, Hayton.
“The church would appear to have originally consisted of a Norman stone built nave and chancel, dating from around 1120. A portion of this structure is still to be found within the north wall of the nave. At the end of the twelfth century, the south aisle was constructed, and the arcade, consisting of three round arches was built. The fine south doorway is also of this late Norman period, but the splendid porch which shelters it was not built until around 1400. According to Arthur Mee, it is a rare possession for a village church in the quality of its workmanship, as it has a stone-ribbed roof, and is externally enriched with pinnacles, at the foot of which are tiny sculptured heads of human folk and animals.
During the fourteenth century the chancel was pulled down and rebuilt to include a three-light window, and at the same time the windows in the north wall of the nave were added, and the south aisle rebuilt. The tower was constructed around 1400 and is embattled, as are the nave and the south aisle. Since the 15th century when windows were inserted in the south aisle, the church has not altered in external appearance, although it has been extensively restored from time to time”.
The Parish Council was formed in 1972 and is permitted to have a maximum of seven Council Members.
|Members Role||Name||Declaration of Interests|
|Chairman||Mrs Sue Gottfirstname.lastname@example.org||Declaration|
|Parish Clerk||Julie Tisiemail@example.com|
|Councillor||Mr L Pickersgillfirstname.lastname@example.org||Declaration|
|Councillor||Mr David Crosslandemail@example.com|
|Councillor||Mr Paul Gottfirstname.lastname@example.org||Declaration|
|Councillor||Mr Roger Smithemail@example.com|
|Vice Chairman||Currently Vacant|
There are many excellent walks around the Hayton area some of which are detailed here. The paths can be found on the Ordnance Survey Pathfinder Series 745 [SK68/78].
Don’t forget that stout shoes or boots are recommended as the paths can be muddy in wet weather and also suitable clothing will be needed.
Please remember that some public rights of way pass through private land and you should not stray from the line of the path. Some of the fields occasionally hold livestock so dogs should be kept on a lead.
Depending on the time of the year, there is an abundance of blackberries, sloes, damsons and rose hips for those of you who like to cook, make wine or simply pep up the gin bottle.